Monday, June 29, 2009

Beeswax Beauty.

Most of you are already aware of how very much I love using beeswax in my art. It is my preferred medium of choice because it can be used in so many different ways to create a variety of effects. For this project I wanted to create a "direct fusion" transfer into the beeswax using the simplest of supplies. There are many ways to transfer onto beeswax but one of my favorites is the fusion method.


I started with a blank canvas box that had held some spa products that I had received as a gift some time ago. As you can see from the photo, the box is octagonal and I wondered how the beeswax would handle the sharp angles and corners of the box but it did fine.

I gathered my pelleted, "natural" colored beeswax, some decorative napkins and my heat ironing tool also known as a "Hot Wax Stylus". You can find this and many other beeswax accessories on Suze Weinberg's Website. I painted the box with a buttery yellow acrylic paint so it would match the color of the beeswax. Next, I applied several thick layers of beeswax using an old paintbrush in long, smooth strokes.

I then took my napkin and peeled apart the 2 ply's of white backing leaving only the actual image sheet intact. I laid the napkin over the still warm beeswax and then pressed into it firmly.

Next, I took my hot wax stylus and slowly and with consistent strokes; I ironed over the napkin. When you begin to iron two things happen. First the napkin begins to absorb the wax making everything but the image disappear. Secondly, as the napkin absorbs, it begins to fuse into the wax until it eventually comes to sit under a layer of the beeswax. When these two things happen it completely transfers the napkin into the wax appearing as if it had been hand painted onto the surface.

If you wanted to, you could also take this technique a step further by adding glitter glue or perfect pearls to add a bit of shine to the finished piece. I preferred to leave this one like this because I just loved how bright and buttery the beeswax appeared against the pinkish coral of the orchids.

As you can see from the photo's it is virtually undetectable that the image used to be a decorative napkin at all. This technique can be used on almost any flat surface that can be easily ironed. You can get decorative napkins in so many beautiful styles and patterns these days so why not try this technique on a blank journal, a candle, or even a box as I did here. With all that you can do using this natural and versatile material, its no wonder I love beeswax!

15 comments:

  1. Cindy,
    That is amazing!!
    I have never seen that technique before or done anything with bees wax.

    Seems like it would take a lot of patience.

    RE' little ceramic birds:
    I think they are too small for egg cups, but they sure would have been cute for that.
    I'll check them closer when i am at the store tomorrow.

    Blessings and thanks for coming by.

    Barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Thanks fro the instructions. =0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb! No problem about the posting the technique. You would be surprised how easy it is to do. Let me know if you need any help if you decide to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute! Country Living gave ideas to use pretty paper napkins peel them apart and apply them to cards to make handmade ones :) Great idea!

    All the best,
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your box came out so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is just beautiful.....I saw that technique a while back using napkins and this is much prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible! I have never seen this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is incredibly beautiful! Did it take you very long to finish?

    ~Silver
    Reflections/
    One Day at a Time

    ReplyDelete
  9. The technique itself is very fast. The longest part is waiting for the beeswax to heat up in the melting pot. Once it does you just paint it on in long strokes until it covers the surface. Then you lay your napkin down and press it in firmly. Then just slowly iron over it and the napkin part disapears right before your eyes...pretty cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful! I've never heard of or seen such a thing.I didn't even know it was possible to use beeswax this way. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow, how lovely these turned out, great tute too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks ladies, I was thinking of creating a kit for this project...what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Cindy..
    thank you for leaving me a lovely comments on my blog, I appreciate that :-)
    Wow Cindy..this is beautiful, is it the same with decoupage?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Itajeff (what a pretty name!) You certainly could do this same project with decoupage but I am not sure if the entire napkin part would disapear leaving only the image. You've sparked my curiosity so maybe I'll give it a try and see what happens! :)

    ReplyDelete

Was This Post Helpful and Informative?