Monday, April 6, 2009


I recently stumbled across this vintage photo of a grouping of intriguing Native American Men. The first thought that came to my mind was how out of place these men looked sitting uncomfortably for the camera in their westernized attire. It occurred to me that these men were probably feeling not only a little uncomfortable but also mournful. I imagined them feeling defeated by having to wear such westernized attire instead of their noble and traditional dress. Under normal circumstances these men would have proudly worn traditional dress, adorned themselves with beautiful and meaningful turquoise jewelry and proudly displayed their ceremonial long hair. As I look at this people wearing suits and jackets and shorn hair (on a few of them) I feel sad for them. I feel sad for their communities and future generations. I feel sad for a proud people wrongfully robbed of their identity and ultimately their dignity.

1 comment:

  1. this is totally awesome - I love how you highlighted the face with the clock

    ReplyDelete

Was This Post Helpful and Informative?