Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Vintage Garden.







First off today I want to extend a very special welcome to all the wonderful Vintage Flair ladies. If you have not already checked out this great site I seriously urge you to do so. There you will meet a gathering of artful women who will inspire you to create. See my blog banner below for a direct link over to the site.
Now you may be wondering what in the world is a Vintage Garden? For me it has meant going back to a time when not everything you ate was purchased from the local supermarket. Think back to even just 40 years ago when women canned or "put up" their own fruits and veggies, grew gardens from seed, and harvested and preserved all that mother nature provided for the following year. With today's economic state in disrepair I think we could all learn a few things from days gone by. It is for this reason that I decided to begin planting my vintage garden this spring. I have started a variety of lettuces such as red oak, lettuce bowl, mesclun mix and micro greens. I will also be planting spinach, arugula, and herbs. And no garden is complete without a few tomato and squash plants so I have started these from seed as well. The great thing about planting from seed is that it is so much more affordable than buying starter plants. A packet of seeds is often under a dollar as opposed to a plant that may cost three or four dollars. Also, the seeds can be used to produce many plants over a two or three year period. Gardening vintage style can not only be fun but also very rewarding and I hope you are inspired to grow one this spring as well.

7 comments:

  1. Love growing my own salads in the summer! They taste so much better and last much longer than a bag of leaves from the supermarket

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya Gaylmarie! Also you avoid any of the crazy salmonella/Ecoli scares that happen with the lettuce and spinach that you buy in the stores. That is another reason I decided to start growing my own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you send me a link to the Vintage Flair site that you mention? Thanks! (txerica@hotmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I love your blog! I would love to start a garden do not have a clue? when does lettuce grow? Denise hull

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise! So glad to have you along! Lettuce can be grown year round in mild climiates but it prefers cooler temperatures. I live in southern California so I keep it shaded and moist in the heat of summer and in the winter it grows fine without much fuss. I get most of my seeds from Thompson and Morgan Seeds because they are top quality. Give it a try you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely Blog, congratulations I love the content and lay out as well. Saw your post on Suzi blu, and thought you were very diplomatic about it.
    I will follow you and wonder if you may do the same. I blog about how to save money on supplies and will soon include techniques as well. I am new so I really need input, if you have just a moment.
    sincerely
    Brittany
    http://papermoonies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brittany I would love to follow your blog! Who doesn't want to save on supplies! Thanks for following the vintage vignette and I am off to join yours now:)

    ReplyDelete

Was This Post Helpful and Informative?